FIT is celebrating its 60th anniversary and we hope you will join us at some of our events during the year. The first is the FIT Asian Translators' Forum, being held in Malaysia from 27 to 29 August this year. The anniversary celebrations will culminate at FIT's 20th World Congress in Berlin in August 2014.
FIT (the Fédération Internationale des Traducteurs/International Federation of Translators) is an international grouping of associations of translators, interpreters and terminologists. More than 100 professional associations are affiliated, representing over 80 000 translators in 55 countries. The goal of the Federation is to promote professionalism in the disciplines it represents.
Speech by Eyvor Fogarty (FIT) President of the steering committee at the BDÜ conference in Berlin
The aims of FIT (2012):
1) to link and bring together existing associations of translators, interpreters and terminologists
2) to encourage and facilitate the formation of such s in countries where they do not already exist
3) to provide member associations with information about conditions of work, technological tools, initial and ongoing training, and all questions useful to the profession
4) to develop and maintain, among all member associations, good relations that serve the interests of translators
5) to uphold the moral and material rights of translator, interpreter and terminologist, enhance the status of translators in the society, and promote translation as a science and an art.
source: ; Chambre Belge des Traducteurs, Interprètes et Philologues / Belgische Kamer van Vertalers, Tolken en Filologen 2012/4 vol 58